Pages

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Physical Contact is Nice, Even With Strangers on the Train

The title about sums it up. This morning, I had settled grumpily into my small 2-person seat on the train. I had my earbuds in and I was ready to pass out. But at the first stop, a large man, lugging a briefcase and a raincoat, dropped heavily into the seat next to me. His girth extended beyond the invisible bubble between us, and his arm brushed against me as he began perusing his newspaper. Great, I thought. Really great.

But you know what? It was actually kind of nice. As I began to nod off, the part of his white shirt sleeve touching me slowly transformed from a starchy white button-down to a soft, billowing pillow. Sure, I hadn't dreamed of brightening my morning with a little arm-on-arm action with Mr. Hefty here, but unless someone's a real wacko, chances are I won't mind some unexpected physical contact. I'm betting you won't either. You might even enjoy it. 

After all, people are meant to care for one another--and physical contact of all types, from quick kisses to long hugs to pats on the shoulder, is a necessary part of any affectionate relationship. Did you ever find yourself wishing you could give a friendly (and definitely-not-weird) hug to a favorite professor? (Sadly, not very possible.) Trust me, you're not the only one. Humans like to touch each other! It makes us feel better, even if it's just the smallest touch. It's science--contact and even simple eye contact releases oxytocin, one of our 'happiness chemicals!'

So the next time someone stands a little too close to you on the subway, gather your bags closely and clutch your purse in a subtle way. You know, because of weird people and wackos.

But then let your arms brush together. It might make you smile. :-)

--

No comments:

Post a Comment