Pages

Monday, June 23, 2014

I Can Make You Think There's Something to See Here


This is why I love taking Psych. It's just so real. I see it everywhere I go.

I learned about the phenomenon of pluralistic ignorance in a psych class over a year ago. For those who don't know, this is when you notice something, or want to act on something you perceive as wrong, but because nobody else around you is reacting, you choose not to act, preferring to blend into the crowd rather than risk looking the fool. Unfortunately, this often results in people not acting on emergencies--there was actually an incident in China where a little girl was struck by a truck--twice!--and nobody ran over to help! Unbelievable.

But choosing to look on the bright side, as I prefer to do, I like to think about the gentler instances of this phenomenon. The fact of the matter is, people act based on how people around them are acting, no matter how 'free-thinking' they say they are. I saw an instance of it this morning.

While walking along the beautiful Boston Harbor on my way to work, I glanced down at the water. As usual, I saw hundreds of moon jellyfish floating near the surface, pulsing gently and enjoying the sunny morning (at least, I'd like to think so). I've walked by them dozens of times in the past week or so, but I still stop to admire them each time. They're lovely! 

Well, my slowing down, combined with the similar actions of another commuter, caused an interesting reaction. Most people walking over the bridge slowed down to look over the railing too! I've seen how people walk over this bridge when nobody is stopped--they stride purposefully, as if nothing in the world could keep them from their destination. But as soon as some people are stopped, peering over the railing and clearly looking at something, other people realize--something's going on! And, not wanting to miss out or look the fool for passing by, they stop to check it out as well.

I'll think of it more as pluralistic knowledge -- next time you're somewhere public, test it out. Stop and squint at something; peer into a tree as if you're watching a squirrel do the most amazing thing you've ever seen. I guarantee that other people will slow down and stop to see what you're watching. Frankly, I think it's adorable--people believe they're free-willed, but they're more predictable than they'd imagine. It's oddly comforting.

Really, though, try it out--it'll make you smile!

--

No comments:

Post a Comment