Pages

Friday, June 27, 2014

I'm Just Doing This to Put It on My Resumé

As a young adult, I'm supposed to (kind of) have it together. Part of this, naturally, is having a kickass resumé. That way, when I get rejected from 10 prestigious internships in the same week, I can still sit back, look at my resumé and think, wow, my resumé is bad. ASS. And so well written! Gosh, I'm way more accomplished than I realized. Who cares if I don't have an internship? Anyone looking at this thing would die to have me!

(Healthy or not? You decide...)

Anyways, this obsession with appearing professional (despite dubious amounts of real work experience) has made me all-too-conscious of what I might and might not put on a resumé. It's gotten to the point where I catch myself considering what I can spend time doing based on whether or not I could use it to get a job later. Sure, thinking like this is smart, to a point--it keeps me focused and mindful of my future opportunities. But I think it's gone too far.

I decided that I want to volunteer at a museum this coming semester--there are a lot of fantastic Boston museums that I've loved for many years (e.g. Museum of Science, Museum of Fine Arts, various historical locations around here, etc.) But as I looked into the volunteer positions, I heard a snide little voice in my head, saying, could a Meet and Greet Volunteer position at the Museum of Science really help you get a job? After all, I'm not studying science, and I'm not exactly hoping to make a career out of working at a museum.

That's when I stepped back and asked myself, why the hell am I thinking about it like that? Since when do I base my interests off a vague idea of a future job interview for who-knows-what? I'd be signing up to volunteer at the museum for the best reasons--because I'm interested in meeting people and giving back to a museum that has brought me so much joy since I was a young kid! Feeling reaffirmed and confident in myself, I printed off the application and began filling it out.

Also, it's my personal belief that if a company is smart, they'll look to hire people who use their free time in meaningful ways. So I guess this is something that would look good on a resumé, after all...!

That still doesn't make filling out all the paperwork any more fun. Sigh.

That's all for now!

--


No comments:

Post a Comment